At Eyes of India, we are speaking to more and more customers who are turning to us to provide them with Bohemian accessories to help theme, furnish and stylise their Wedding Day. This got us thinking, what exactly does it mean to have a ‘Bohemian Wedding’ and this article will explain what a Bohemian Wedding style means to us, with some tips along the way on how to achieve this really cool style of wedding.
What does Bohemian Mean?
A few months ago we wrote a blog post about the origins of Bohemianism, and what it means. Traditionally, Bohemianism represented a relaxed way of life, free from conforming to the usual norms of life. Artists, writers, poets and liberals were of seen as Bohemian. It was a term very much used to describe those living an unconventional lifestyle. This may seem an odd definition today, and today Bohemianism is continued by those with a quirky, natural and creative attitude towards life.
What is a Bohemian Wedding Style?
So how does the above translate into a wedding style? To us, a Bohemian Wedding is an incredibly relaxed event. Heavily inspired by nature, Bohemian wedding days are all about chilled out vibes – it doesn’t matter too much about the location – although venues which feature the outdoors are always best.
Just think of a traditional wedding, and turn it on its head – there’s no rule and regulations to adhere to.
Bohemian Wedding Tips:
- Swap the Huge Bouquets of flowers for smaller, wild flowers – look in charity shops and second hand shops for little jars and containers to put them in. Don’t worry about the order and presentation of these flowers, loose is best.
- If possible, create large seating areas out of flo0or pillows – this is a really good way to avoid the rigid tradition of seating patterns, you can even avoid the dreaded top table situation!
- Keep it light – keep the colours light – blues, pinks, greens and variations of such colours blend perfectly with nature and the environment you are trying to create. Use rugs and tapestries to inject bohemian style and colour.
- Wedding dresses should reflect the style of the wedding, think mischievous woodland fairy style – not Disney princess. A massive amount of designers are making a bigger and better range of relaxed, more casual wedding dresses which are perfectly suited to free spirited, Boho weddings.
- Hairstyles – in our opinion the very best hairstyle for a bohemian wedding day is one that is carefree, flowing and natural. Think loose plaits, braids, as well as including flowers and pretty head pieces.
Bohemian Design Ideas
One of the most important elements of a Boho Wedding is the interior design and surroundings. Below, we give you a few ideas on how to use some of the products we have seen during wedding days, for maximum effect – creating a stunning location for your special day.
Tapestries – These tapestries can be used for everything from table coverings, to picnic/beach blankets. In weddings, we often see them used around where the vows will be read, and also around the venue.
Cushions – These cushions make brilliant communal seating areas, making sure your Boho wedding day delivers the relaxed, social atmosphere you need.
Rugs – Working both inside and outside, there is a range of Boho rugs which inject individuality, colour and style into any wedding venue.
Do you have any tips on how to pull off the perfect Bohemian Wedding? Get in touch below.